Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Compound Sentences


A compound sentence contains two independent clauses which are joined by a semi-colon, a coordination conjunction (preceded by a comma), or a conjunctive adverb (preceded by a semi-colon and followed by a comma). 


For examples,
  • She was sick, so she didn’t come to work.
  • Students work hard; they succeed.
  • The job was difficult; however, we could finish successfully.

Note:
- There are two independent clauses in compound sentences.
- There is no dependent clause in compound sentences.


There are 3 patterns in which simple sentences are joined.
 


1. IC , cc-IC [ Independent clause + comma + coordination conjunction + Independent clause. ]

For examples,
 

  • Sopheak didn’t come to class, for he was sick. 
  •  I tried to speak Japanese, and my friend tried to speak English.  
  • He doesn’t work hard, nor he is clever. 
  • I know him, but he doesn’t recognize me.
  • You can write on paper, or you can use a computer.
  • The dog barked, yet it doesn’t bite. 
  • Sopheak was sick, so he didn’t come to class.

2. IC ; IC [ Independent clause + semi-colon + independent clause. ] 

For examples,  
  • Sopheak didn’t come to class; he was sick.  
  • I tried to speak Japanese; my friend tried to speak English.  
  • He doesn’t work hard; he is clever.  
  • I know him; he doesn’t recognize me.  
  • You can write on paper; you can use a computer.  
  • The dog barked; it doesn’t bite.  
  • Sopheak was sick; he didn’t come to class.

3. IC ; ca, IC [ Independent clause + semi-colon + conjunctive adverb + comma + Independent clause.]
 


For examples,  
  • I know him; however, he doesn’t recognize me.  
  • Sopheak was sick; therefore, he didn’t come to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment