Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Causative Verbs


A causative verb expresses the meaning somebody causes someone else to do something or something to happen. There are five causative verbs: have, make, let, get, and help.

HAVE


Have expresses the meaning that "someone gives or assigns someone else the responsibility to do something."

Active form: HAVE + PERSON + INFINITIVE

For examples,
• Dr. Smith had his nurse take the patient' s temperature.
• Please have your secretary fax me the information.
• I had the mechanic check the brakes.

Passive form: HAVE + SOMETHING + PAST PARTICIPLE

For examples,
• We had our door fixed.
• Phalla had her hair cut.
• Samnang had the windows cleaned.

MAKE


Make expresses the meaning that "someone forces or coerces someone else to do something."

Positive form: MAKE + PERSON + VERB

For examples,
• My teacher made me apologize for what I had said.
• Did somebody make you wear that ugly hat?
• She made her children do their homework.

Passive form: BE + MADE + TO INFINITIVE

For examples,
• I was made to apologize for what I had said.
• Are you made to wear that ugly hat?
• The children were made to do their homework.

LET


Let expresses the meaning that "someone allows or permits someone else to do something."

FORM: LET + PERSON + INFINITIVE

For examples,
• John let me drive his new car.
• Will your parents let you go to the party?
• I don't know if my boss will let me take one day off.

GET


Get expresses the meaning that "someone persuades or convinces someone else to do something."

FORM: GET + PERSON + TO INFINITIVE

For examples,
• Anna got her son to take the medicine.
• How can parents get their children to read more?
• The TV commercials are trying to get people to stop smoking.

HELP


FORM: HELP + PERSON + INFINITIVE

Or : HELP + PERSON + TO INFINITIVE

For examples,
• Tom helped me do my homework last weekend.
• Tom helped me to do my homework last weekend.

1 comment: