Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Future Simple (Will)


FORM

Positive: Subject + will + verb 1 (present form of the verb)
Negative: Subject + will + not + verb 1
Question: Will + subject + verb 1?


USAGE

Will (future simple) is used to talk about:

A) a future fact, i.e. something that will be always true; for examples,

 •  Sokha will be 20 in December.
 •  The sun will rise at 6:00 am.

B) a general prediction, or an assumption; for examples,

 •  Everything will be fine. (Prediction)
 •  There will be 20 million people in Cambodia in 2020. (Prediction)
 •  That will be Sopheak at the door. (Assumption)

C) a spontaneous decision, i.e. you decide to do something at the time of speaking; for examples,

 •  Hold on. I'll get a pen.
 •  We will see what we can do to help you.
 •  Maybe we'll stay in and watch television tonight.

D) a promise; for examples,

 •  I won't tell anyone your secret.
 •  I'll be there at 7 p.m., I promise.
 •  I will finish my report later today.

E) an idea of willingness (voluntary actions), i.e. offers/requests, invitation, threat, etc. For examples,
 •  Will you help me move this heavy table? (a request)
 •  A: I'm really hungry.
    B: I'll make some sandwiches. (an offer)
 •  We have a party next week. Will you join with us? (invitation)
 •  Stop that or I will call the police. (threat)

F) a result in first conditional sentence; for examples,

 •  If it rains tomorrow, I will stay at home.
 •  If my father doesn't buy me a bike for my birthday, I will be very unhappy.
 •  If I arrive late, I will call you.

No comments:

Post a Comment