Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Present Perfect Continuous


FORM

Positive: Subject + have/has + been + verb-ing
Negative: Subject + have/has + not + been + verb-ing
Question: Have/Has + subject + been + verb-ing ?


USAGE

Present perfect continuous is used to show/talk about:

A) an action that has just stopped / finished; for examples,

 •  You look tired. Have you been sleeping properly?
 •  I can smell smoke. Has somebody been smoking?
 •  I've got a headache and a stiff neck. I've been working too long on computer.

B) an action that happened in the past and has continued up to the present, i.e. when we want to focus on the activity / or to say that something is still happening; for examples,

 •  I've been waiting for him for 30 minutes and he still hasn't arrived.
 •  He's been asking me about it for days. I wish he would stop.
 •  You haven't been performing well over the last few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment