Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

Reported Imperatives


HOW TO CHANGE (1): 'TO INFINITIVE' FORM

Simply use this construction:
  • Reporting verb + (pronoun) + to + infinitive
  • Reporting verb + (pronoun) + NOT + to + infinitive

Requests:

For examples,
  • Quoted: "How can I get at the university?"
  • Reported: He asked me to show him how to get at the university. 
  • Quoted: "Can you lend me $50?"
  • Reported: Then he asked me to lend him $50.

Advice/instructions:

For examples,
  • Quoted: "Don’t totally copy from internet!"
  • Indirect: She advised me not to copy from internet. 
  • Quoted: "Don't chat. You're disturbing others."
  • Reported: My teacher told us not to chat as we were disturbing others.

Promises:
  • Quoted: "I’ll post our photos today on Facebook."
  • Reported: She promised to post our photos on Facebook.

Commands:

For examples,
  • Quoted: "Don't park your motorbike here!"
  • Reported: He told us not to park the motorbike there.
  • Quoted: "Leave now. It’s very late."
  • Reported: She ordered us to leave as it was very late.

Practice:
Use "to" form to change the direct command (quoted) to an indirect statement.

1. My sister shouted, "Leave me alone!"  
    My sister told me ……………………………………………………..................................

2. Teacher said, "Knock the door before you come in."  
    Teacher told me …………………………………………………….................................

3. The guide said, "Go down the hill and turn left."  
    The guide told me to …………………………………………………..............................

4. The marketing manager said, "Tell me your opinions."  
    The marketing manager told us ………………………………………..........................

5. My boss said, "Be sure to finish the budget on time." 
    My boss told use ………………………………………………………..........................

6. My boss told, "Do the presentation again."  
    My boss told …………………………………...……….................................................

7. Teacher. "Don't talk to your classmate."
    The teacher told ……………………………………………...........................................

 
HOW TO CHANGE (2): 'SHOULD' FORM

Simply these constructions:
  • Reporting verb + that + (pronoun) + should + infinitive  
  • Reporting verb + that + pronoun + infinitive
Suggestions:
 
For examples,
  • Quoted: Let’s go to Brighton for the weekend./ Why don’t we go to Brighton for the weekend?
  • Reported: I suggested that we should go to Brighton for the weekend. (or I suggested we go to Brighton for the weekend.)
  • Quoted: You must do the washing up before you go out.
  • Reported: I insisted that she should do the washing up before she went out. (or I insisted that she do the washing up before she went out. Or; I commanded her to do the washing up before she went out.)

Practice:
Use "should" form to change the direct command (quoted) to an indirect statement.

1. "Take a preparatory course," my counselor told me.
 
     My counselor told me ………………………………………..........................................
2. He said, "Don't spend too much!"  
    He said ……………………………………………...........................................................
 
3. "Be home by midnight," my father said.  
    My father said ……………………………………..........................................................
 
4. The teacher said, "Don't give up hope!"
    The teacher said ………………………………....…………………...............................
 
5. Hilary said to us, "Don't believe him."  
    Hilary said ……………………………………………….................................................
 
6. He said, "Let's not blame him till we hear the facts."  
    He said ………………………………………………….....................................................
 
7. The students said, "Let's request make-up classes." 
    The students said …………………...…………………..................................................... 

No comments:

Post a Comment