Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

Reported Questions


HOW TO REPORT YES/NO QUESTIONS

To change quoted question to an reported speech, you have to follow the steps below:
  1. First, change the question to statement word order, i.e. Sub + verb …   
  2. Second, Remove the Auxiliary (if any), and change one tense back.
  3. Third, add IF/WHETHER next to the reporting verb,
  4. Fourth, join the clauses.
  5. Last, check if you need to change pronouns, or adverbs.
For examples,
  • Quoted: John asked, "Are you coming?"
  • Reported: John asked if I was coming. 
  • Quoted: Mary inquired, “Did you get my email?"
  • Reported: Mary inquired whether I had gotten his email. 
  • Quoted: Jack asked, “Were you calling?"
  • Reported: Jack asked whether I had been calling. 
  • Quoted: My friend said, “Have you been exercising?"
  • Reported: My friend asked if I had been exercising.

Practice: Write the indirect clause in the blank.

1. "Are you Cambodian?"
 
    He asked me ……………………………………………..……………….................................

2. "Are you walking to school today?"  
    They asked me …………………………………………….…………………............................

3. "Have we got another battery charger?"  
    Can you tell me …………………………………………………………..…………...................

4. "Did they buy a new house?"  
    I'm not sure ……………………………………………………………..………….....................

5. "Is she your new teacher?"  
     I really don't know …………………………………………………….………………………..

6. "Will you join the workshop?"  
    Could you tell me ……………………………………………………………………................

7. "Had he been to Siem Reap before?"  
     Do you know ………………………….………………………………………………….........

8. "Have you planned your trip yet?"  
     They asked me ………………………………………….....…….………..……………..........

9. "Are you having a party tonight?"  
     I would like to know ………………………………………........….….………..........................

10. "Is the shopping center open until 10pm?"
​       ​​​Could you tell me …………………………………………………..……..…………..............


HOW TO REPORT INFORMATION QUESTIONS 

To change quoted question to an indirect speech, you have to follow the steps below:
  1. First, change the question to statement word order, i.e. put the subject before the verb.
  2. Second, remove the Auxiliary (if any), and change one tense back.
  3. Join the clauses
  4. Last, check if you need to change pronouns, or adverbs.

For examples,
  • Quoted: My friend said, "Where did you work?"
  • Reported: My friend asked where I had worked. 
  • Quoted: Mike asked, "Where are you going?"
  • Reported: Mike asked where I was going. 
  • Quoted:Tom asked, “Whom were you calling?"
  • Reported: Tom asked whom I had been calling. 
  • Quoted: My friend asked, “How have you been doing?"
  • Reported: My friend asked how I had been doing.

Practice:
Change the direct question (quoted) to an indirect question.

1. "What did the teacher say?"
 
    He asked me …………………………………………………………………………..........

2. "Where are you going?"  
    They asked me ………………………………....………………………………...................

3. "What time is it?"  
    Can you tell me ………………….................……..................................................................

4. "How old are you?"  
     I'd rather not say………………………………..……...…………….....................................

5. "When are you leaving?"  
     Please let me know ………………………………......……………......................................

6. "What is your car's color?"  
     Would you tell me ………………………........…………………….......................................

7. "Did you get the scholarship?"  
     Would you mind telling me ……….....……………………………………….......................

8. "How many times have you looked at that photo?"
     They asked me…………………………………………………………................................

9. "Who have you invited to dinner tonight?"
      I would like to know ………………………………………………………….........................

10. "Who did they choose to organize the event?"
       Can you tell me ……………………………………………………………........................... 

No comments:

Post a Comment