Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

Reported Statements


Statements are positive or negative sentences. It is important that you should review the changes required (in the previous unit) when you report the statements .
 

HOW TO REPORT STATEMENTS

To change quoted speech to an indirect statement, you have to follow the steps below:
  1. First, change the tense (one tense backwards), look at the table above.
  2. Second, add THAT next to the reporting verb,
  3. Third, join the clauses.   
  4. Then, check if you need to change pronouns, or adverbs.
For examples,
  • Quoted:    Sok said, “I'm a teacher.”
  • Reported: He said that he was a teacher
  • Quoted:    Navy said, “I have been to France three times.”
  • Reported: She said that she had been to France three times. 
  • Quoted:     Piseth said, "It was raining yesterday."
  • Reported: Piseth said (that) it had been raining the day before
  • Quoted:     My friend said, "I will be there at 9:00pm."
  • Reported: My friend said (that) he would be here at 9:00pm.

PRACTICE

Report the statements below.

1. My friends said, "We will have an exam tomorrow."

    My friends said ………………………………..............................................................

2. Samnang said, "My friend has had a road accident."
     He said …………………………………………………………..................................

3. Bopha said, "I didn't do homework last week."
    She said …………………………................................................................................

4. Thina said, "I have finished my assignment."
    Thina said …………………………………….............................................................

5. He complained, "I have a terrible headache."
    He complained …………………………………………..............................................

6. "I have never driven a Mercedes," he stated.
     He stated …………………………………….…………..............................................

7. He said, "I will be at school at 7:00."
    He promised ……………………………………..………….........................................

8. "I am going to retire this year," my senior manager announced.
     My senior manager said ……………………………...................................................

9. The manager said, "We have got a successful year last year."
    The manager said ………….………………………………….....................................

10. The supervisor said, "You are the symbol of the company and success."
      The supervisor said ………………………………….................................................. 

No comments:

Post a Comment