Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

Second Conditional


FORM

If + past simple, sub + would + verb (present)

Note:
- If + past simple = i.e. unreal present situation/condition
- subject + would + verb 1 = i.e. probable result
- You can use some modals like could instead of would.


USAGE

We use second conditional to talk about unreal (not true) present situation(s) and its probable result(s). For examples,

• If I had enough money, I would buy a big house. [ = Now I don’t have money. ]
• If I were a writer, I would write about your love story. [= I am not a writer now. ]
• If he studied harder, he would pass the exam. [= He didn't study hard.]
• If he stopped smoking, his cough would get better. [= He doesn't stop smoking.]
• If I had some free time, I would visit you. [= I don't have much free time.]

No comments:

Post a Comment