Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Third Conditional


FORM

If + past perfect simple, sub + would + have + verb 3 (past participle)

Note:
- If + past perfect simple = i.e. unreal past situation/condition
- subject + would + have + verb 3 = i.e. impossible result
- You can use some modals like could instead of would.


USAGE

We use third conditional to talk about unreal (not true) past situation(s) and its impossible result(s). For examples,

• If I had studied hard, I would have passed the exam. [= I didn't study, and I failed the exam. ]
• If she had come to the party, she would have met Sophal. [= She didn't come and didn’t meet John. ]
• We would have gone out last night if we hadn’t been so tired.
• If I had known you didn’t have a car, I would have given you a lift.
• If she had paid attention in class yesterday, she would have heard that we have a quiz today.

No comments:

Post a Comment