Search This Blog

Friday, October 18, 2013

Objective complement


Objective complement (object complement) completes the meaning of the object. It stands after the object. The objective complement can be:

[1] noun

She considers him brother.
I call him Robert.

[2] adjective

They made us upset.
Thida painted her house yellow.

[3] gerund

I saw him running.
She overheard them gossiping about her.

[4] infinitive

They force him to go away.
I encourage him to work harder.

[5] bare-infinitive

I noticed him throw a sweet wrapper on the floor.
I watched him climb through the window.

[6] prepositional phrase

The news fill them with terror.
She treated his brother with care.

[7] noun clause

You can call him what you like.
The games made the party what it was.








No comments:

Post a Comment