Search This Blog

Friday, March 17, 2017

Make Complex Sentences with Adverb Clause


You can make a complex sentences by making one clause a subordinate clause and join with another independent clause. You can simply combine by following these steps.

STEP 1 -- Read the two sentences and identify their logical relationship (such as time, place, manner, reason, result, purpose, condition, concession, contrast, or comparison).

Ex 1  I did not go to school. I was sick.
(Here, 'I was sick' is the reason of this clause 'I did not go to school'.)
Ex 2  I study hard. I can pass all the exams with good grades.
(Here, 'I can pass all exams with good grades' is the purpose of this clause ' I study hard'.)

STEP 2 -- Use the subordinating which best shows the logical relationship to begin the adverb clause.

Ex 1  I did not go to school. BECAUSE / SINCE /AS I was sick.
Ex 2  I study hard. SO THAT / IN ORDER THAT I can pass all the exams with good grades.

STEP 3 -- Place the adverb clause at either before or after the independent clause. 

Ex 1 
  • I did not go to school because I was sick.
  • Because I was sick, I did not go to school.
Ex 2 
  • I study hard so that I can pass all the exams with good grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment