Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Indirect questions


Indirect question (also called embedded question) is a statement within another statement/ question (polite expression). Indirect questions are polite, longer forms of normal questions.

For examples,
  •  What is your name? → I can't remember what your name is.
  •  Can you speak English?  → Can you tell me if you can speak English?

Some common polite expressions are:
  •  I wonder……………...……
  •  Do you know………………?
  •  I can't remember ...…………
  •  Could you tell me ... ………?
  •  I'd like to know .....…………. 
  •  Would you mind telling me ... ………?
  •  I can't remember...…….…… 
  •  Would it be possible for you to.…..…?

Changing direct questions to indirect questions

There are two types of questions: Yes/no question and Wh questions. When we change them to indirect questions, there is a slightly difference in form.

WH QUESTIONS

Form:
  • A polite expression + a statement
Procedures:
Step 1: Change the question to statement word order. See the example,
  •  "Where do you live?"
  → Where you do live
Step 2: Remove auxiliary verb if necessary.
  → Where you do live
Step 3: Embed it in a polite expression.
  → I can't remember where you live.
Step 4: Check whether you need to punctuate with question mark "?" or full-stop ".".
  → Can you tell me where you live? ["?" is used when polite expression is a question.]
  → I want to know where you live. ["." is used when polite expression is a statement.]
Here are more examples,
  •  What's his name? 
  →  Do you know what his name is?
  →  Do you know what is his name? 

  •  What's the time? 
  →  Do you have any idea what the time is
  →  Do you have any what is the time?

  •  When does the next train arrive? 
  →  Do you know when the next train arrives
  →  Do you know when does the next train arrive?

YES/NO QUESTIONS

Form:
  • A polite expression + if / whether + a statement
Procedures:

Step 1: Change the question to statement word order. See the example,
  •  "Do you like apple?"
  →  you do like apple
Step 2: Remove auxiliary verb if necessary.
  → you do like apple
Step 3: Add IF or WHETHER in front of re-ordered question.
  → if/whether you like apple
Step 4: Embed it in a polite expression.
  → I can't remember if/whether you like apple.
Step 5: Check whether you need to punctuate with question mark "?" or full-stop ".".
  → Can you tell me if/whether you like apple? ["?" is used when polite expression is a question.]
  → I want to know if/whether you like apple. ["." is used when polite expression is a statement.]
Here are more examples,
  •  Do you like Chinese food? 
  →  I'd like to know if/whether you like Chinese food.
  →  I’d like to know if / whether do you like Chinese food
  →  I’d like to know if / whether you do like Chinese food.

  •  Does she work for Mobitel? 
  →  I wonder if/whether she works for Mobitel
  →  I wonder if/whether does she work for Mobitel. 
  →  I wonder if/whether she does work for Mobitel
  →  I wonder if/whether she work for Mobitel

No comments:

Post a Comment